I need badly to laugh right now. So hopefully I can make you laugh as well...a little, anyway. Although I admit...if this is the nicest story I can share about the subject at hand, it would make one wonder at the ability of the writer to survive it. I tell this often to friends in such a setting, when you begin to share yourself.....My mother was a bartender and waitress her entire life. She was the head bartender at the local American Legion hall in my hometown. All the old veterans apparently loved her, and she ran the place very much like she ran a household -- tough, profane, very strict...
One day, I was sitting at the end of the bar, having a beer, relaxing just a little on a late Saturday afternoon. The place was jammed, because the guys wanted to watch a ball game on TV. Suddenly a long-haired, fatigue-dressed young man came in, alr eady drunk and louder than anyone in the place. He sat at a barstool and banged his hand on the bar: "BA-A-R-R-TENDER!" My mom froze for a second, her back to the bar. Once again, the drunken voice ripped through the smoke-filled room, "WHERE'S the fuckin' BA-A-R-R-TENDER!?!?" She turned around quickly; her eyes were already stillettoed toward him. "What the hell do you want?" The man came back "I want a goddamned hamburger with mustard...and a draft beer!" She paused, knowing that all eyes were watching. "WHAT kind of hamburger do you want?" "A godDAMNED hamburger with MUSTARD -- and a DRAFT BEER!!" Mom drew his beer, slammed it to him on the bar and put the food order into the kitchen.
Okay, here we go...The young man began to bellow and talking loudly to anyone and no one. He was a 'Nam vet, having just gotten out of the Army after his tour in DaNang, as I remember him saying, and spouting the wrong epithets in front of the wrong crowd. Finally, Mom brought his order out and put it in front of him. Burger, fries, ketchup...no mustard. She turned around to get a jar. In the meantime, the kid saw his order, saw no jar mustard and launched once again into a mindless tirade: "B-A-A-R-R-TENDER! WHERE'S MY GODDAMNED MUSTARD???"
My mother again froze, jar in hand. She literally tossed the jar aside and turned around. She picked up a small stool that she often sat on when business was a bit lazy. She stood up on the stool in front of this kid. She raised her skirt up in front of him, exposing her white panties for all to see. And she shouted at this kid at the top of her voice:
"WHERE DO YOU WANT YOUR MUSTARD FROM.....MY PUSSY???"
He sat there in utter shock. I hid my head in my hands because I knew, I KNEW that my mother would, indeed, piss on his plate. All the rest of the crowd in the bar began to applaud and shout their approval "Yeah, honey, you tell him!... Oh, yeah, she'll do it, too, you just watch.... I've never seen that in my life!!!" And various, sundry comments. The young man threw down a fin, grabbed his sandwich and ran out of the bar as fast as he could.
Now... In another forum, this would have been hilarious. And like I say, I tell this story often. I mean imagine, just imagine if you will...Your mother has just said the word "pussy" in front of you. Now...here's the part I don't tell....As the applause died down, she looked at me and, front of all her patrons, pointedly shouted "Yes, Ronnie, I said "pussy". You've seen one, right???"
That's how I grew up.
Monday, March 3, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
Oh, Ron! While I find this hysterical, I'm sure the trauma you went through at the moment has taken it's toll on you.
I hope that you can look back and laugh now because you're seeing it through different eyes.
HUGE, Ginormous (((HUGS)) for you!
(Please stop over my blog, I think I've got something that will help with laughter.)
Yes, I think I can say in all honesty that this has never happened to me. Of course, this is also why I found this post so interesting to read.
Take care, Ron. I hope you will find something today to bring a smile to your face. If not, here's one from me to you. :)
OMG, that she called you "Ronnie" was the icing... ROTFLMFAO!!!! Smile, babe... Spring's coming. There are newborn calves in the fields around here.
Nitebyrd -- Nah, it wasn't the moment...it was an accumulation. We all have it. I just chose to share it. You're a babe.
Fex -- Thank you, ma'am. I do hope you are well and happy...:)
JRM -- Yeah, they all called me that in those years. I've had lots of nicknames in my life.
Yep, I bet you were totally embarrassed by that. I on the other hand, may have showed him my arse and said would you like me to shit it out of my butt?
So how old were you and were you old enough to know about pussy?
struck me as quite sad rather than amusing.
families, as the poet Philip Larkin says, they fuck you up.
hugs hon, loads of them
pxx
Vi -- Well, that would have been quite interesting...lol
Pixie -- The occurence itself is very funny. And I was 23 years old, so I wasn't a kid and had seen and had plenty of pussy by then. But...that's how dominant she was. Almost a bi-polar thing. I still wonder how I came out of it with a fairly healthy outlook.
My Mom worked the bars at the VFW and Servicemen's Club in a small town throughout the 60's and 70's. While I don't remember anything quite like what you witnessed, she did have quite the collection of dirty jokes she would share.
Thanks for sharing such a personal memory.
Post a Comment