...Infidelity...or the appearance of such. Or its reality. Either way, we are always much too hard on ourselves for exploring our desires. It's how we do it that produces the inner sanctum of turmoil.
I have the good fortune here to be in personal contact with several of you. I am proud to know such passionate, emotional, enjoyable folk, men and women alike. Recently I have been touched by a couple of friends whose involvement with lovers outside a primary relationship has them reeling a bit. I am one who would never, ever judge anyone unless it hurt me or those I love in a deeply personal way. We cannot help who we fall in love with -- those are feelings which simply cannot be restricted. It's a part of being human. But what we can do is control how we react to such situations. And here are some of my own views....so strap it in, here we go.
Loyalty in a primary relationship is what two people make of it. It should be fleshed out and examined as early as possible in the infancy of such a thing. It should also be established with the thought that these same two people have the obligation to grow within the relationship AND...yes...outside it as well. There are tenets that I have shared before that will never waver, because I believe them to be the benchposts for all relationships: friends, lovers, marriages, family, work, play, whatever label you wish to place on them.
TRUST -- Now what in the hell does that mean? To me, it's a simple idea that is very complicated in its implimentation. To trust someone, to truly trust them with your life, your loves, your ideas, your path, is the single most difficult thing we have in our lives. Because instead of offering up our trust initially, we wait to see if that trust is earned. If it's deserving. If it makes us comfortable. To give it to someone without having some idea that it is right is not only unwise, it is unsafe. I want to trust 'her' and the more interaction we have, the more I learn about whether I can do so or not.
But trust is absolutely useless to us without --
REAL COMMUNICATION....and I mean deep-down, substantial, nitty-gritty, what-does-it-mean-to-you talking about what's on your mind and in your heart. This is the other part of defining what a relationship is, in my opinion. We all have issues from our history, our lovers, our jobs, etc. How they affect our outlook on a potential partner is not only necessary to talk about, but vital to your own best interests. So you lay it all out on the table -- what you want, what you expect, what you like and don't like, how the relationship affects your own life, your own routine, philosophically, professionally, familially, sexually. I've said many times here that being open is so much more than who you suck and how much pussy you fuck. Walking the walk requires taking the risk to talk about it all. Once you talk about it and can establish some kind of common ground, then the trust can truly begin. In my life, the only real infidelity occurs when a partner or a friend ventures outside the agreed boundaries...and believe me, all relationship has and needs boundaries ... WITHOUT discussion or knowledge. If you feel that you are 'cheating' (and I hate words like this), then you just may be. But that is judgment we impose on ourselves, and it is painful and cruel to inflict a passionate spirit with such stilettos. There are many of us who cannot talk with our partners on such subjects because we fear their rejection... and yes, I have been there myself. An open relationship is just as evolving and growing as the closest lifelong friendship. But here is the problem.... we do not allow ourselves to take the chance that our mate will understand, because they might take it in the kind of personal way that we do not mean to offer. They may believe it to be a reflection of inadequacy on their part...or vice versa. In reality, it is all too common for us to stifle our impulses, our desires in order to not rock the boat. I personally have done my very best to allow the woman in my life, whoever she is, to know that not only do I have these desires...I want and encourage her to share those same things with me, and I focus on her first in discussion. The only rules that I have are these:
Wake up with me in the morning.
Go to bed with me at night.
Allow ourselves the magic opportunity to grow during the day.
Always TALK about what has arrived in your field of desire.
That's that. And even then, the rules are flexible and malleable, because we tend to grow at different speeds... As long as the foundation is there and is constantly referred to in my relationship, anything -- ANYTHING is possible and EVERYTHING is negotiable. And because I so fervently believe all this, I also extend it to all corners of the partnership. It is a choice to live openly. It is an obligation to do it responsibly. It is an opportunity to see it universally in our lives.
Okay. Bring it on; I love good debate and intelligent discussion. If you can show me that I might be wrong, I'm willing always to listen and consider. It's taken a lot of my 54 years to show what I believe here. Does anyone understand?
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

13 comments:
It leaves me with a lot to ponder....thanks for a great post...articulate and addresses issues I think we all deal with at one point or another. :-)
Thanks, CW...But I do wonder why, when I decide to write seriously, no one wants to read. Seems that way, anyway.
great post~~and i do hate that you are so far away~~i wish i could say that i have never cheated but i can say i never cheated on someone who i was in a real relationship with~~i have a fuck buddy that i see from time to time~ we are friends because i could not be in a relationship with him and visa versa, but, we both enjoy each other's company and when i am not in a relationship, we get together sometimes
i would love to be in a serious relationship~~i love being in love but~~right now i have my parents to focus on and don't have time for a relationhip
like i said on my blog, i was suppose to have a date with a potential, but he didn't show up or call to cancel, so when he does call i won't answer and i hope that he has the sense not to mess with me in person if and when i go back to visit his neice, who is a former student
i really don't think he was my type, but felt i should get to know him more before making that choice
i live in a really small town (around 3000) so meeting someone is not very likely
i have tried dating sites before and may again, but not right now
i do know that if i am meant to be in a relationship again it will happen when it is suppose to be in the meantime, i will start working on my application for a fuck buddy
~~PLAWYK~~
Having made a mess of my marriage, Im working very hard at being totally open about everything with Ruf. I wont sweep stuff under the carpet and pretend it doesnt matter and if I see someone I like or engage with someone on the net, I tell him about it. It hurts when he does the same but I have to learn to trust. Communication is everything.
Charlene -- Whatever you need to do for you is going to be the right thing, I'm sure. You are much too aware and intelligent, and you know well how to take care of yourself...You're a real babe...:)
Cake -- I have a similar history. It's the only way to truly have what you want, IMHO. I wish I could get some discussion started here. It would help a lot of folks.
Ron, this post hits so close to home that it's hard for me to comment without babbling on. Mine was a mess to begin with and I've made it messier.
Your points about trust and loyalty are well taken. Communication is key and and so is that foundation you talk about. It has to be there from the beginning and both partners have to contribute to keeping it that way.
I like your four rules. They seem so little, but really they could make a huge difference in what I have now or in what I may have in the future.
Thanks for writing so eloquently on a tough subject.
> But I do wonder why, when I decide to write seriously, no one wants to read. Seems that way, anyway.
Not commenting doesn't mean not reading, Ron :-)
I think those who've never tried it can't really knock it; so since you've lived that life, you can tell about it, but for those who haven't, and might not want to try.... they're not too qualified to judge :-)
E
Anon -- Oh, I understand that. But for those who identify here, I just thought it would be a good outlet to explore...just for the moment, anyway.
Distracted -- See, this is why I think so highly of you. And also why you have more to offer than you ever think you do...:)
I do understand. I admire.
What I don't seem to be able to manage is see how I can get from here to there.
Thanks for writing this. Definitely gets me thinking.
You get from here to there, Kyra, by thinking...so you're doing it right...:)
Ron the only reason I hadn't commented was that I wasn't aware you had written a new post. I shall have to redress that situation.
As for the topic you have written here. I think maybe reading this today is right for me. Finally I have a date to meet Romeo tomorrow. So this is make or break in the transformation of our cyber relationship to a real relaionship.
So an ideal time for cards on the table type discussions. With him being away so much of the time any relationship we have has to be based on trust. Without trust there could be no relationship. When I say trust I don't in this instant mean that I am trusting him to be faithful to me. I am trusting him to keep communicating with me. I have made it clear that we can only have a relationship if we communicate well and frequently.
He knows that no matter what is going on in my life I will always find time to send him text messages and emails. He has found that it hasn't always been so easy for him to communicate but he is putting that right by upgrading his phone so that he can be in contact no matter where he is in the world. This has brought us much closer together.
In past relationships I was not good at communicating my feelings. I always in every relationship trod on eggshells trying not to upset the apple cart, never saying anything if I was unhappy with a situation. From the start with Romeo we agreed to tell each other if we were unhappy about anything at all. So far it has worked. If I am unhappy, I tell him, usually in an email. He might not pass comment on my email but he acts to put things right. So his actions are speaking louder than any words could.
the first time I told him he had done something I wasn't pleased about his reaction was to praise me for having the courage to tell him especially as it was fairly early on.
I don't know if I could adventure outside my relationship with him (or anyone else) and be totally open about it. perhaps this is something we need to discuss. right now I don't feel there would be the need to include anyone else in my relationship. but we have a lot of talking to do once we are face to face so we will see where it leads.
currently I am happy to have just one man in the centre of my life although I would not give up my verbal interaction with others and I don't believe Romeo would expect me to.
Such elegant discourse, Lady. Just the kind of thing I was hoping someone would initiate... Thank you.
Post a Comment