Orignally this was to be a fun, highly energized post about a Christmas week meeting with a new friend in downtown Chicago. And I will, indeed, get to it. But right now, I just need to share a bit.
These last three, count 'em, three holiday seasons have found me in a kind of mourning. It's just the luck of life's draw, of course, but still it's an exhausting, emotionally debilitating kind of experience to emerge from.
2007 saw the tragic passing of my college roommate at his own hand on Christmas Day. He was in trouble and kept it all to himself. Never married, never told anyone to my knowledge of his mire of pain. I found out in a newspaper. Thankfully I was able to attend services, but it was quite a week.
2008 offered the death of an actor/stage manager friend due to cancer on New Year's Eve. He'd been fighting it for a while, and he showed a lot of balls in the fight. I admire how he handled it to this day.
2009...Christmas Eve morning, to be precise...was a repeat of last year. Another actor friend of mine that I had known for well over 20 years. Same illness as the previous friend. His family withdrew from life to deal with it privately in hospice. Naturally, it had to be respected, but dammit, I surely would have loved to offer a handshake and some kindness. His funeral is tomorrow.
I'm tired. I'm dealing fine, but I do wish that this would stop. I have lots on the horizon to look forward to...changes in my life that will be quite remarkable. But I didn't need the confirmation of tragedy to tell me that these holidays are always challenging in my life. I know I sound a bit immature here, but sometimes... well, sometimes you have to exercise the right to question why...
Sunday, December 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Not immature at all, my friend. Just sad and questioning, which is to be expected. Wish my arms were long enough to wrap around you from here. xxxoo
I'm very sorry that you've gone through this. Big hugs for you.
And definitely not immature to question. Downright human.
*hugs*
Here late on this so sorry baby!!
xx
Ron, i'm so sad to read all of this. such a difficult time of year for so many people out there. i do hope that you were able to stay positive and at least marginally happy through the season. (((hugs)))
I am here quite late. I hope you're doing better now that the brunt of it has passed. Deaths over the holidays are difficult and (on my part, anyways) riddled with guilt, as you try to be happy through the sorrow around you. I hope you are able to get through it all.
*hugs*
I'm sorry to just now be reading this, my friend. I've had my head buried in my own crap for a long time...and I apologize for that.
I really feel for you in this! Thanksgiving has similar emotions for my family. I'm so sorry for you loss and grief. I hope you are doing all right now.
Take care!
BJ
Post a Comment