sex forums Torchlight: Do We Care Enough?

Monday, August 31, 2009

Do We Care Enough?

Sorry, all. I'm on a roll, when it comes to social issues in this country. And unless you've been under a rock, you know the biggest political issue we have at present is the state of our health care system. I had a friend write to me recently, complaining about it all. She has a family and her deductible is $5000. Yes, you read correctly. But she has a problem in how all of this, when coupled with the necessary/unnecessary spending being done for the economy, is going to affect her financial future. Thought you might like to peek in...

"You are absolutely right, honey. The biggest problem in all of this is not that we can't create the plan -- we can. This plan is meant for two segments of the populations -- those who don't have health insurance at all, and those in your position, with standards from a company that most rational people simply cannot afford. The Democrats have bungled it, because they are trying to ram a bloated bureaucracy through an already overloaded system that is based on economics from World War II, instead of overhauling it totally.

Nearly three-quarters of a million people file for bankruptcy in this country every year because of finances related to health problems. In Britain -- none. In Japan -- none. In Germany -- none. In France -- none. Why? Because of the WAY they administer their programs. They're not socialistic at all. But we are the only country in the entire developed world that allows the INSURANCE companies to PROFIT off their clients. Foreign health insurers exist only and solely to pay for medical bills, as long as the premiums are paid. We should, we could have absolutely the best health care in the world in our country. But we don't...because of greed. Now, you patriot, just relax...think about it. It's because health care administration is beholding to the dollar. Because of the way it's run. Because insurance companies have departments that routinely DENY coverage, particularly to those with a pre-existing condition -- the people most likely to need their help.

Let's say you were hit by a car and you are in _________Medical Center. Honey, your insurance company will go into your records to find ANY MEANS NECESSARY to deny you help, because they say it keeps their costs down. Bullshit. When a simple MRI in this country costs around $1500, while the same procedure in Japan, using the same methods, costs less than $100 a pop, it ain't hard to see where the money goes. THERE is the real problem, and neither party wants to seriously deal with it. Because THERE'S the politics of it all, with special interests being so influential in this area. Please, please don't believe all the scare tactics you've heard about. Like so many other things, the bottom line here is NOT being unAmerican. It's not a socialistic ploy. It's money and profit, plain and simple."

Now I realize I have opened the door here. And that's fine...we're all friends. Just be respectful and keep the name calling down to "Yes, Ron, if you can lower my rates, I'll be glad to suck your cock!"

The light is always on, everyone.

4 comments:

Topaz said...

I've met both people - those who love the American system, and those who have been trampled by it. This is one of the few areas I believe government involvement to be healthy when it comes to offering essential medical services. Defining essential becomes bureaucratic, and capitalism prevents any real overhaul. Fear of upheaval. Insurance companies are amongst the heavy hands in the derivatives market. Fear and money. And it's so unfortunate, because medical care should never be tied to the free market, since population health is a leading indicator in the overall stability of a nation.

Sorry for my rant, but c'est la vie.

Ronjazz said...

Thank you, Topaz. I'm in total agreement. To connect my health with their profit is simply obscene.

Aurore said...

I am surprised no one else commented on this - I was prepared to be engaged in a full on debate. It appears people don't want to mix sex and politics ;)

As someone who had not one but two surgeries this summer, not to mention the consults, repeated doctor's visits, etc. I can't imagine waiting for someone to decide whether I could go ahead with my treatment. And yes, some of my American friends were appalled when I couldn't get in to see a specialist in a week but I wasn't dying and while I was suffering, I could afford to wait.

I get the argument that you should be able to pay your way to the front of the line, to the best care, if you can afford it but what I cannot, and may never understand is why people do not believe that access to health care in a timely manner is a right of all individuals.

Never once did I pay a dime to my doctor, to the surgeons or to the hospitals. I received nothing but the best standard of care and all things considered, I got through the system pretty quickly for having non-emergent conditions.

Yes, the Canadian system is far from perfect and no, it would never work in the US. However, there is much that can be borrowed from other countries models (I know socialist-bs but it seems to work everywhere else) to improve the sorry state of affairs down there.

(Keep in mind this is the very early morning rant of a very left-wing Canadian girl)

Ronjazz said...

I've discovered, Aurore, that sex and politics do not mix well HERE. They might other places.

Just finished a wonderful book on the subject... "The Healing Of America" by Washington Post correspondent T.R. Reid. It's a pretty detailed examination of the health care system in the US as it compares to other countries. I loved it; it spoke to me in articulate and informed terms.