sex forums Torchlight: "...I Just Can't Do This..."

Friday, May 30, 2008

"...I Just Can't Do This..."

Those of you who follow me here on a regular basis will come to the conclusion that I have great big balls....that is, I am fearless when it comes to putting myself out there for the women in the world. I realized in my youth (probably because of the reinforcement that happens during that time in our lives) that I was not the most attractive man. I'm certainly not repulsive, but I learned to depend on other developing skills to appeal to others. Conversation. Attitude. Humor. Respect. And to this day, those are my bywords in life. Occasionally, however, I get reminded....

I have experienced my share of dating services. Some worked, some didn't. I had the best luck on a telephone dating service (we'll keep its name quiet) I first contacted about five years ago. My ability to use the English language has always been a saving grace for me. Now on this service, you create a profile of yourself and retain a voicemail number...when someone is interested, you will receive notice of a message in your voicemail box. Okay. I do have lots of stories about this particular service, which I'll share another time....some very erotic....some simple....nearly all of them ultimately going by the wayside. Now this one time.....

Her name was Anne. She was smart and funny. Nice, deep, sexy voice. She found my profile "intriguing"...her word. So I called back and we talked one evening for nearly three hours. Every subject imaginable came up between us, and it was a gratifying call. Eventually, we traded pictures. Mine was my professional headshot; hers was a lovely photo of walking at a local botanical garden. After we got to know each other, talking back and forth for a week or so, I got her to meet me at a restaurant halfway between where she lived and where I live. I got there about ten minutes before Anne, so I sat and waited. Picked up a paper that was nearby.

Then she walked in. Gorgeous, impeccably dressed. My height in her heels. I stood up and offered my hand to her: "Hi...Anne?"

She impulsively reached out and grabbed my hand. As she looked at me....well....it was like one of those moments in school that you remember when you got into trouble with the teacher, so you slinked yourself downward, so as not to feel so bad. "....YOU'RE....." Her grip on my hand became ever so loose....and slimy...."...RON???" I could tell immediately she was not pleased.

We were taken to a table. I pulled her chair out for her to sit down. She didn't even take her coat off as she sat. I tried to engage her in brief discourse, but she wouldn't. She couldn't even look at me...her eyes were down to the table in embarrassment....The waiter arrived with menus and was a real gentleman...."Good evening, folks...May I start you with a drink?" I looked at her. "Anne...?"

For the first time, Anne picked her head up. Looked around, like she didn't want to get caught at something. Looked at the waiter. Finally looked at me, her mouth gaping in wordless wonder.

"I'm sorry......I just can't do this...." And she got up and walked out of the restaurant.

In my own hurt and embarrassment, I looked at the waiter for some kind of guidance. Thank God, he had a good presence of mind. "First date?" "Yes. And apparently the last one..."

"Man, that's tough....Sorry....Sir, lemme buy you a drink."

I got a Scotch on the rocks and sat there. Obviously Anne never got back in contact with me, and that's just as well. But it shows that you can be the most perceptive, intuitive person alive (as I feel I have some of that in me) and still not know the whole story.

Now that was extreme, I'll admit. But this is why one should be prepared for anything in the dating world, especially these days. The vast majority of us seem ill-prepared to view life in any way past our own backyard, our own noses, viewpoints. And now you have an example of why I tout being totally open as the only way to go in life; this story wasn't about sex at all. I don't care HOW uncomfortable you are...at least offer the respect of following through, since you both entered the arena on the same footing. Because even though intellectually I know that little episode was not about me, but about Anne and her own expectations....

...to this day, nearly five years later, it still hurts.

18 comments:

nitebyrd said...

What a shallow, superficial excuse for a woman! Not even a shred of courtesy. Seriously, Ron, I'm appalled.

That bitch missed out on not only an amazing friend but probably a chance at the most incredible sex she ever had!

I can understand the feeling of hurt but I'm glad you know that it was about her inadequacies, not yours.

Anonymous said...

You know, Ron, this is one of the reasons I like you. Through your writing and your words, you continuously challenge us to see things in a new way, to change our perspectives, to question ourselves (and you include yourself in this too). Because we all make mistakes, but we all continue to grow and learn from our experiences. Although it doesn't appear that this woman learned anything from this experience, many people reading this will. Back to the old cliche, you just can't judge a book by its cover. Or, if you do, you very likely could be missing out on something good!

Ronjazz said...

Nitebyrd -- So much of the time, it's not about 'you', but about someone else's reaction TO 'you'.

Fex -- ...And you, honey, continue to hold a special place in me. Remember that. Thanks for the kindness.

Riff Dog said...

Yeowch!!! That is just plain fucked up!

Obviously. all of us have been "disappointments" at one time or another, but it's just kind of assumed that the disappointed one at least make an effort to not be rude about it. I feel for you dude!

JRM said...

OWWWWWWWW!!! Damn!!!! Makes me want to shake some women... if she'd had a picture already... sheee-it that sucks! HUGS babe! She missed out big-time!

Bella Dreamer said...

Wow. That sucks something awful! I am sorry that happened. I can only imagine how that would hurt. I will assume that you are better off without her however based on that brief meeting.

On another not, thank you for checking out my blog and commenting. So far, I enjoy your blog and the way you write. I will be coming back. :)

Ronjazz said...

Dog -- Just another detour, as it turned out. Still, one does remember such a moment.

JRM -- There is that little bit inside that says "I sure hope you are right."

My little Vamp -- We'll be seeing each other soon, I know it...:)

Distracted said...

Oh, Ron. First, let me join the chorus of voices to affirm that this woman is the one who missed out on so much.
Second: thank you for sharing this story even though it still has to sting. This is one of my biggest fears in getting back "out there." I can only hope to run into people with your same policies of openness, honesty, and respect.

Ronjazz said...

Distracted -- Thank you for the words, my dear. Just make sure you take care of you first. THEN put yourself out there...:)

Cate said...

I couldn't keep my eyes from welling up with tears as I read your post. What a horribly cruel thing to do!

First meetings are always a bit awkward but that has to be the worst thing that anyone could possibly do.

Wish I could give you a hug!

Cate xxx

Ronjazz said...

Cate -- Some things you always remember. But you also move on. Thank you for the sentiment...:)

Fire Byrd said...

It's odd isn't it what makes one person attractive to another.There is no reason to it at all.
I think it's a shame that she allowed herself to be intimate with you if looks were so important to her. In that only a certain type was going to appeal to her.
And although really horrible for you to have to go through the experience, hopefully she learnt about herself from it and didn't do it again.
I did many blind dates courtesy of a dating agency a long time ago and there were without doubt even when I'd had photos or descriptions very different in real life.
Last one I had I had to walk out of in the middle of a drink I just couldn't hack how it made me feel.Particularly as his ideas of what he looked like and the reality were so very different.
But I never got as far as intimacy with any, other than the guy I ended up marrying for 5 weeks ( we had known each other for three years by then !!)
bbx

Ronjazz said...

BB -- We live and learn. Hope she did, too.

Anonymous said...

Ouch.

Better to find out that she was a superficial asshole now rather than later, eh?

I can't believe some people.

Anonymous said...

I'm with naughtsecretary, Ron. Her loss, baby!

And with Cate too, sending you hugs.

-K

Joanna Cake said...

What they all said. Big hug x

BELLE said...

Ditto to what nitebyrd said.

Anonymous said...

Oh that's horrible!!! I don't think I could ever do that to a guy. At least stay for one drink and be polite!