As I am wont to do on occasion...and because I'm tired of feeling like a lone wolf in my attitudes...I will reach out to folks and try to share the more 'radical' side of me...you know what I mean, the side that you keep quiet because you just know that they won't get it, or you will be submitted to harsh judgment because you look at life differently than they do.
I am nothing if not brave. Trouble is, when you do feel rejected, it also makes you feel foolish.
I'm in a play here in Chicago right now. As you might expect, the social interplay between actors, crew members, etc., is a bit looser than in most work situations. Sometimes that is by necessity, because of the nature of the work. After all, when you have to shake your own persona away and literally become someone else for two hours, there has to be a bit of give-and-take in that exchange. You do your best to maintain respect for each other, while at the same time dipping your toe in the pool to see if there is more in the offing.
Once again, however, I find my philosophies at odds with the reality. I brought my laptop in to work recently on a blog post, as well as to catch up on e-mail, research, etc. I was typing away on my previous post when a woman in the cast came in. She had given every indication from my observance and from her actions that she might be someone to have an interest in what I was writing. Her own bawdy sense of humor and physical demeanor allowed me to take a chance. So...when she asked me what I was working on, I said "Oh, I write a blog." We were the only ones in the dressing room (another indication -- this theatre is limited on space, so men and women share the same dressing rooms), so I thought innocently "What's the harm?" She kept pressing me and I kept saying to her "This is pretty open stuff...I don't want you to be offended. Moreoever, I don't want to hurt our friendship." She laughed and said "Oh fuck Ron, let me read."
So I did. It was the usual reaction, the same mistake. I never learn. And I probably never will, simply because it's in my nature to continue to reach out.
She got about halfway through one of my Harem stories and she said, with apprehension and surprise "Why, Ron? Why do you do this?" And I was honest. "Well, it's a side of me that I've always explored and I enjoy it. I wish there were others who had similar interests." She stepped away slowly from my laptop, looked at me and said "....Ron....that's creepy..."
Creepy.
She has not said more than five words to me since.
And once again, I am left with the feeling that the world expects you to fit into one basic shell, and that if you don't conform, there is something wrong with YOU. Now intellectually, I do know that this was all about HER, about HER outlooks, and so on. But it's so....exhausting.
I know that the wolf is a pack animal. But the tattoo on my shoulder of the wolf howling at the moon tells me differently. We MUST be allowed to be the people we want to be. Furthermore, if we judge others, we are no better than they are when said judgment happens. I have always believed in the stark individuality of all people, that they have the right to be who and what they want to be, as long as it respects those around them who look at life differently.
I'm tired of it. I've been on a mission to find that woman in my life that I want who gets it, who understands, who wants to be a part of such a free and open philosophy. And yet...
I sometimes wonder if there really is something wrong with me. And if so, wondering if there is something wrong with someone else, so we could be content in each other's nonconformity.
But I'm too social a creature. So I continue to howl at the moon, hoping someone will answer.
Monday, July 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

15 comments:
If she could only see this is a community, it is social, and your writing (yes, you Ron!) can be very interactive. What's creepy about that? But my opinion is skewed...
I know you have a set interaction with her, but if she was so gung ho and wanted to see, then reacted with 'creepy' (still mind boggling), my response would be 'I told you not to look. You're not open enough to handle something like this.' Or maybe she is, but just not from the 'you' she has created in her mind.
Ugh, yes, the prejudgment gets under my skin too. IMO, best not to share with everybody...
Because i still haven't got myself figured out (much less anyone else) I share little with the irl people. The only way I know to survive.
As I have said previously, before any of "my shit" went down I probably judged others for this place and could not relate at all.
But, sometimes...life changes perveptions. Just be true to you Ron.
I understand completely. I am very careful who I share things I write with. A lot of people in my life would NOT be accepting. Heaven help me if anyone at my work found out.
You keep doing exactly what you are doing and you will find those that answer your call.
I don't think there is anything wrong with you. What can be wrong with expressing yourself, being open about who you are and what you feel? I have not read anything here that disturbs me in the least and I refuse to accept her judgement of you.
I guess I am lucky in that most of my closest friends do know about my cyber world. I think out of all of the bloggers out here I might have the most friends that I can tell. But I choose my friends based on those who I can be myself around.
The bottom line is this: most people are terrified of admitting things to themselves, of being sanctioned, of being embarrassed, of being 'different', of having people talk about them or of having people judge them. Why would any of us want to spend so much time fitting inside that definition? That would be even more exhausting, wouldn't it?
I think you are awesome!!! Fuck her and the horse she rode in on!
I'm another skewed person, but I don't share often. I despise being judged by "outsiders", people who Do Not Get It. B cautions me about opening up to anyone at all.
HUGS, my friend. Taking the risk and being burned sucks.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........
IMHO, Ron, you might have thought that she'd be interested because she WAS interested - in you, though, not in your lifestyle. I think you'd find that many women who were interested in you would not be willing to sacrifice their principles to share your lifestyle, in which case, you'd have to choose between losing a woman you could love and who could love you, or losing the lifestyle you love (which not many people manage to live successfully anyway ;-)).
I think most of us have 'forbidden desires' - and often it's for practical reasons that they're forbidden - and if not, I'd say love has its own bonds, where you'd choose not to be polygamous for the sake of a partner (it goes the other way too, where yes, a woman could suffer herself to participate in it just to please her partner). i just wonder.... could you be faithful to just one woman though? (if not, then I guess the lifestyle comes first for you ;-))
just my 2 cents :-)
Wow...The very judgment I refuse to impose on others...Well, whoever you are, Anonymous, you don't know much about my history. So I'll share a bit.
I have always...ALWAYS been loyal and faithful in relationships. I have never, NEVER acted on impulse and reached outside. NEVER. I've always had to stifle such urges because of my own sense of obligation. It's only been in recent years that I have allowed myself the privilege of exploring ALL of who I am. I respect highly those who remain and enjoy the traditional one-on-one. Being open has NEVER been just about sex for me. Ask the people I work with. Ask my family. Ask my friends. I often am lonely because of this kind of choice. But do I live a lie? Not me.
And the person in question was a MARRIED woman...so that eliminates any romantic interest. I wouldn't WANT a woman to 'suffer' through it just to please me...What kind of man would that make me? NO...Go back and read through my blog. You'll see I have a brazen history of trying to reach out and share this side of me...to very little avail. We live in such fear. I resolved a few years ago that I simply was not going to do that anymore. Your comment that the lifestyle sacrifices love is simply not true. I've seen too many examples of the opposite that actually deepen and grow well into old age.
Now...escape your anonymity and drop me an e-mail; I would appreciate it. You have the advantage of me in offering your opinion. I promise...You have nothing to fear from me...I surely hope I've proven that.
And finally... love ALWAYS has bonds. Nothing in this world is unconditional...such thinking is a choice, not a compulsion. Another thing to enjoy debate on, I think.
Ron, you already know my opinion of people like this.
I hope that you will never, ever stop "howling" because you know there are women out there that are exactly what you are looking for. This one happens to be miles away but her hope springs eternal.
BTW, *I* truly believe that there are different types of love but they are all LOVE.
I'm fairly new to your blog, and haven't read everything yet, but I had to comment on this. Sorry if this gets kinda long.
A few years back I went out with a buddy of mine for a boys nite out.After a drunken night at a concert and a follow-up at the all nude strip bar, we were headed home. Now this is one of my two very best friends in the world. I've known him for about 15 years at the time. He's always been a huge horndog, like me, and had been with WAY more than a few women. He had within a year or two of this story gotten married. To a gorgeous, sexy woman who loved to show off her "attributes", with his obvious consent and enthusiasm.
Anyways, we are in the car headed home from the strip club. The subject came up somehow about gettin the hook up with other woman besides our wives. Now at the time, I had the idea of swinging or an open marriage firmly imbedded in my mind, and had broached the subject with my wife, but so far it was pretty much just a dream. But what a dream it was!!
Anyways, thinkin my buddy might feel the same way, I mentioned the idea of having my wife be ok with me hooking up with another woman, and how cool would that be, right? (Stupid, stupid me! I just wanted SO bad to talk about the idea with another person!) My friend agreed that would be nice, then said "But what if she wanted to hook up with some guy?" I replied that, "well that would be ok, fair is fair, right?"
APPARENTLY NOT!
You mighta thought I asked him to sacrifice his newborn to satan on an alter of skulls of his ancestors, or something. "No way would I ever let some other guy get on MY wife!" he says, the guy who just spent about a hundred bucks getting a blowjob from a skanky, way too old to have tits that big and firm, stripper! WTF?
Well, I had to try and play it off as "yeah, I never thought about that part, you're right" kinda bullshit, when all I wanted to say was "THATS WHAT I WANT TO SEE!!!!" "MY WIFE WITH ANOTHER MAN, WHILE I FUCK ANOTHER WOMAN RIGHT NEXT TO HER!!!"
Havent hung out with him since.
Fifteen years of friendship, blown all to hell because I told the truth? Probably not solely because of that, because his life was going thru some major changes, but I cant help but wonder how much that one truth contributed to it.
So now I would never ever bring up my sexuality or anything about it with anyone who I wasn't TOTALLY sure was ok with it. Hence my interest in blogging, since i haven't found that person in real life yet. Gotta get this shit out SOMEhow, right?
Thank you so much for the comment, searching and finding it is the BEST part.;)
i agree with topaz. i was shaking my head "no" to something being wrong with you. not creepy at all. geebus, its not like you were saying she had to like it. harsh little close minded girl if you ask me.
i'm learning more now than ever before the importance of simply embracing the person i am and trying to incorporate that into my real life as well. i know that when i do take up a romantic interest, this man must be able to understand what this blogging community means to me. i agree that it would be delightful to be with someone who understands. there are those out there for sure. :)
not many people i know locally have my link. i'm careful about who i show it to.
Thank you for your reply, Ron. Wasn't judging you - in my comment, that last question was meant as such - a question, not a challenge ;-)
> I often am lonely because of this kind of choice. But do I live a lie? Not me.
That's what I meant when I said it would be easier to find a partner if you didn't emphasize the 'free love' philosophy :-) But I guess you're right - if that's the life you must live, and since you had to stifle your urges to live that life before, probably best to do what you're doing, and find a like-minded person ;-) For me - I think I couldn't live that lifestyle, because I don't share :-) We've spoken on this before - each to his own ;-) I may not share your philosophy, but I still find your blog a good read :-)
I am quite late in my response, forgive me.
Nothing I've read here has been "creepy" and that she would use that word to describe anything on your blog says more about her than it does about you. That kind of puritanical judgment encompasses what's wrong with the world today - instead of accepting other people and the way they choose to live their personal lives - they are condemned for being "different" (and yet so many of us are!).
I haven't shared my submissive tendencies with anyone other than my best friend and he doesn't want to read my blog - thank goodness, it may just be awkward. I tested the waters with 2 others that I am close with, they definitely wouldn't understand.
So, unfortunately, many of us just aren't able to show the world who we really are but in someways isn't it great to have our dirty-naughty-unbearably-hot little secrets?
I am late responding also, my friend, but I agree with the majority. I do NOT find you or your stories "creepy". Perhaps she was surprised and didn't know how to react. Perhaps she is not as open as she originally seemed. Either way, it's her with the issue, not you.
You know i just ranted on this yesterday...
Fuck them..
or not.
but I wish they would all get bent...
am still a little sick of there my way is the right way bullshit...
Post a Comment